Tuesday, August 19, 2008


#18 Web-based Apps: They're not just for desktops

Wow! Does this make me an official web citizentongue_out This post was created in Zoho and copied to my blog here, which is pretty slick. That said, Zoho has so many possibilities with instant collaboration, inline commenting, and Google competion, to name only a few features!! Specifically, I wish someone in our "Teens and Technology" committee knew about it way-back-when. We sure could have used it to create our master proposal document. Just think, with all these familiar Microsoft Word-like tools, we could have imported all of our individual pieces to a doc here for group commenting and editting. I also wonder if this could work in a meeting environment?? I'll have to check and see if more than one person can edit a doc at a time. I also wonder what kind of project management options are available here. On a side note, to be honest with you, aside from the obvious financial limitations, I've often wondered why all senior staff and supervisors don't attend meetings with laptops. In my former career as a software consultant over five years ago, it was a matter of course and not an option. Think about it, attendees can take notes during meeting directly in their electronic devices then create task lists, calendar appointments, etc. LIVE. (I don't know about you, but it's a more efficient way to streamline all of the stuff associated with keeping on top of multi multi-tasking.) One last comment, I'm sure I ignorant on this one, but still, I don't know how I feel about not storing my files on MY computer. Maybe this is not-wanting-to-let-go-of-the-physical-world thing and it shows how techno illiterate I am, but I'm suspicious of long term storage and access. I also don't trust the security of my information.

No comments: