Saturday, September 06, 2008

#21 Podcasts, Smodcasts
Well, I at least now finally know how podcasts are defined (the super simplified version)by the tech community thanks to this exercise! Speaking of which, I did some picking around. So, I didn't find iTunes very helpful. It's very commercial to start with, and searching was not a breeze. Next, I tried some of the other podcast directories. Podcast Alley led to a dead link. (I Googled it and got the same.) Odeo was not bad. I found some good stuff in the form of exhibit audio by big-name museums like The Met and MOMA. I also found a put-you-to-sleep dull teen produced podcast on Pickle. Honestly, though the idea was nice, it was somewhat painful to sit through;( Otherwise, I searched NPR and found an old directory from 2006. Hum? Is podcasting not as popular as it once was? I don't know. All I know is, though I love all of these forms of communication, the variety and span is dizzying. Still, in the case of the library and my department proper, there are lots of good, practical uses for podcasts. For starters, we could use them to create self-guided tours. We are also having a contest in Teens as we speak. Along those lines, I broke-down and searched on good ole Google and found some good teen and library related podcasts. Because I like the Seattle Public Library's Teen gig, it's been added to my Bloglines per our assignment.

No comments: